Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Wednesday, November 03, 2010

Lee Da Hae's Impression of Filipino's English Accent

I just saw a video of a Korean actress making fun of Filipino's accent when we speak English.In the vid Lee Da Hae of My Girl differentiate the accent of the British,the Americans and the Filipinos by imitating.Many of my fellows reacted to it and saw it as a form of racism and discrimination.It fueled them to bring up the issue of race and felt that we are insulted.
 
I personally think that Koreans have that kind of impression to us because NOT all teachers who teach them are really teachers! And NOT all teachers they had mastered English! They can't expect Filipinos to teach perfectly for that reason!English is not a big thing for us but it is for Koreans as of the moment.However, I don't see it quite like that. We don't speak that way just how Lee Da Hae did on the video.It seems to me as an exaggeration.I'm wondering what would be their reaction if they see Ryan Bang says "lily" instead of "really" and all his  poor command of English.

Not everybody will agree with me but I had taught Koreans for three years and 2 out 10 speak good English among them based on my experience.I'd like to say that Koreans come to my country to learn English maybe because it's more difficult to understand the native speakers than us.Many of my students told me they go first in the Philippines before going to Canada, Australia, England and USA specially those who can't afford to study in the mentioned countries.

I remember one of my college professors telling us that accent is not the Top 1 priority when you study English.Observing proper grammar rules and applying them in a suitable situation are more important.I noticed that the Aquinos including our president does not necessarily have the accent simply because they are Filipinos and not Americans.

Lee Da Hae's video on that show is now unavailable.KBSi has claimed their copyright and nobody can watch it.Perhaps Koreans want to stop people from sharing it.

BUT you CAN watch it here : Lee Da Hae's Impression of Filipinos' Accent on Facebook You have to log in though to be able to watch the video.

10 comments:

English tips said...

I think we must respect the accent, firstly it is really complicated that's why we are not native learners, something happen with Indian, Pasquitan among others, communications is more important, that's my viewpoint. Have a wonderful day my dear friend.

ladyinpurple said...

I see your point.Thanks for dropping by.

Pinx said...

hi there sis! i have an award for you! check out my site! have a lovely day!

ladyinpurple said...

Thank you Pinx..will go check it (^__^)

daphne said...

Point taken. .Well I should say that I am more in observing proper grammar than having an accent. We Filipinos have accent too. Sweet and mellow lol SUper like this editorial. GReat=)

ladyinpurple said...

So am I daphne.Having the accent yet committing grammatical error is not right.In that case somebody would look arrogant pero di nman talaga marunong mag English.Learning the accent is an additional competency.It'll smoothly flow if you're with native speakers.

H.R said...

I think that the accent can come second, but personally I prefer to teach my students how to speak in native-like accent right from the beginning, because if they don't try right from the beginning, it would be more difficult later.

ladyinpurple said...

That's worth thinking about but it depends to the kind of teacher a student has.Native and ESL teachers differ in pronunciation and accent most of the time.Non native's accent is very strong.I think proper training and exposure to native speakers would make it easy if you already mastered grammar.How can you learn the accent if you can't construct proper sentences, right?

E•M•O•T•E•R•A said...

the video was already removed.

I already added your link on my page. Post mine too on your page. :) thanks for dropping by. :)

ladyinpurple said...

It's done (^__^) I just noticed that we can no longer access the video

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...