Protected by Copyscape Online Copyright Protection Software

Enter your email address:

Delivered by FeedBurner

Sunday, May 15, 2011

When Compassion Strikes

Only a few people know how a children organization changed me three years ago. The change it brought me drives me to have that compassion for Kamp Pagasa.It's a summer camp intended for  kids who are mentally and physically challenged. Kamp Pagasa opens the window for me to serve Down Syndrome Association of the Philippines Incorporated or DSAPI- Davao Chapter.

Every hard thing we do becomes easy if we work with compassion.In a ten-day camp offering your time , leaving your comfort zone and giving service without expecting any in return definitely makes me happy. It drives you to dedicate yourself to those who need you. At times, doctors, nurses and teachers  reach their  limit and sometimes we feel tired of what we usually do.But if we recall why we have  chosen these fields of specialization it bring us back to our profession.Impossible things turn possible with compassion.

Today, I remember the movie about Patch Adams, a doctor who treats his patients through humor and compassion. He performs comedy acts to them for he believes that treating a disease of the body is a win-or-lose situation, but treating a person's spirit guarantees success regardless of the outcome.Patch Adams is a kind of movie filled with laughter, humor, tears, and joy that would motivate you in some way to help others.

Patch Adams encourages medical students to cultivate relationships with nurses and learn their interviewing skills early, and argues that death should be treated with dignity and even humor. In the end the jury accepts Patch's medical methods and decides to allow him to graduate.We commonly hear that laughter is the best medicine and this is what Patch is trying to convey.

3 comments:

Antony said...

A beautiful post. I would love to learn more about your experience at camp and how it changed you. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for sharing this with others. I love your perspective on people reaching their limits and the importance of compassion. It is the simplest of things, requires no money, yet we so often lack for it when it is within us -- if we only decide as you did to go beyond your comfort zone. I commend you for doing that. One of my favorite quotes is "everything you want lies outside your comfort zone." You make the point even more powerfully. Thank you. Best wishes always, Tony

kim said...

that was very nice.. i wish there we will all be given an opportunity to do something nice for other people..

ladyinpurple said...

Thank you Kim... everyday we can do something nice to others if we decide to do so..

@ Tony - It's a long story but the bottomline is it opened my eyes and let me see the light again.The said organization simply saved me by showing me how beautiful my life is. My heart smiles for every child I see there who smiles with so much happiness to be part of the camp.

I'd like to say thank you too Tony for your kind words. It also inspires me to keep writing..

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...